Audley is a rural village approximately four miles north west of the town of Newcastle-under-Lyme in Staffordshire, England. It is the centre of Audley Rural parish.
The first mention of Audley is in the Domesday Book of 1086, when it was called Aldidelege, when the lands were held by a Saxon called Gamel. At this time, the area was very sparsely populated, and because of its distance from the major towns of Stafford and Chester there was little outside contact. There was a medieval castle at Audley Castle Hill during the late 13th century; only a low earthwork remains of the former motte. Excavations have yielded some stonework.
Thomas Audley, whose commemorative brass is in St James Church in Audley. Thomas was the son of the second Lord Audley, James (Baron Audley of Redcastle and Heleigh) and Elizabeth Lestrange of Knokyn.James 2nd Baron Audley’s first wife was Joan Mortimer daughter of Roger Mortimer. James’s cousin Sir James Audley was Edward ‘The Black Prince’s ‘ hero on the battlefield who was created 21st Knight of the Garter. Sir James’s father was Hugh Audley Baron Audley of Stratton.
Audley is located on the B5500, the former A52 road. Just south of the A500, the village is approximately five minutes from the M6 motorway. The village was served by a railway station which was opened by the North Staffordshire Railway on 28 June 1880.