Wood Lane Bignall End Written by P Jepson resident of Wood Lane for 70 years
Wood Lane is a large widely dispersed village part of the township of Bignall End and is situated on an elevated position roughly one and a half miles to the south east and part of the parish of Audley, also part of the parish of Alsagers Bank.
The village has a history mainly of coal mining and farming and formerly had a strong non conformist religious and musical tradition, also a primary school of repute which since it’s inception in 1909 has produced scholars of note, and is still progressive.
Much of the original property and including aprox a dozen shops, amongst them a branch of the Butt Lane Industrial Co Operative Society and an off licence beer shop, has given way to modern housing development and except for a part time Post Office there are currently no shops, the village is however within easy reach of AUDLEY, Newcastle and the Potteries and has a first class bus service. There are no places of worship but the parish churches of St James Audley and St Johns Alsagers Bank and the Methodist church in Bignall End are reasonably close by. Also there are no public houses but the village does have a community centre covering a range of activities and a thriving cricket club.
Wood Lane being elevated (900 feet above sea level) has a cold windy climate, but very healthy and commands fine all round views particularly of the Cheshire Plain and North and Mid Wales.